My blog is a way for me to share in the wonder of each day. I know there are others like me that due to medical issues have our days numbered and would like to make the most of them in a positive and gifting way for ourselves and for those around us.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Oldies but Goodies

My grandparents in the early nineteen hundreds.
Do you have any antique or old family pictures you'd like to share? Let's see them!

Today I am enjoying just being.
I got up with a little energy and my cousin and I decided to take a walk at Fountain Park near the river. We tried it yesterday with much less successful results. Sometimes what seems like a disaster may actually be a blessing.
Yesterday it finally started to cloud over and cool off in the late afternoon. My cousin and I packed up my oxygen, the bulldogge and my cousins yorky and away we went. The clouds seemed a little ominous but we decided a little sprinkle like we've had the last few days wouldn't hurt us none so we unpacked and got the excited dogs on their leashes.

My grandparents in Peryton Texas approximately 1960's. They raised 9 children, 2 of which were killed in a car accident, mentioned a little lower.

We didn't even get our feet off of the parking lot pavement when the clouds opened up and within 5 seconds, maybe 10, we were scrambling back in the vehicle and we were already drenched. The wind began to blow and in about 2 minutes the water was running in rivers in the gutter and the parking lot looked like a shallow lake.

My mother (on the left) and her sister as young women, about 1954-55, they were both killed in a car accident when I just turned 8. They both left husbands and three children each. I was the oldest and the youngest was 2 yrs old. The accident was caused by a drunk driver.

It was kinda hard to see out the windows but we decided to head home. As we were about to leave the parking lot I looked at a tall bush and saw what looked like a very much older man leaning into the bush trying to protect himself. The wind was blowing so hard I knew he was being buffeted and might fall and would surely be drenched to the skin. We backed up and I opened the window to wave him over. He started to flag us on but changed him mind and came as quickly as he could to us. He was holding a tiny little poodle that looked to be older too. I had my oxygen on and couldn't get out to help him but we made room in the back seat for both of them.We were very worried about him because his breathing was labored and his face was blue, almost purple. I offered my oxygen to him but he refused. We were able to drive him around to the other side of the park to his car. He assured us he was ok and he was on his way. We followed him aways until we lost him in the rain and traffic. I hope he made it home ok, but if we had left him, I'm not sure he would have made it at all. He was obviously chilled to the bone in just those few minutes in the rain and had probably tried to run or hurry back to his car before he stopped in the bush. He was not in good shape even when we got him to his car but you can't make a person do more if they insist they are ok.

My Dad in about 1968-70?, married again with 6 children and another together making our family "Yours, mine and ours!" (Note the camera in his hand. I come by the photobug honestly, so does my daughter).

Anyway, even though we didn't get to go for our walk, we felt like we needed to be there at that time to be of assistance to him and his little dog. Today's walk then seemed even better, when we walked in the cool early morning air and sunshine. The dogs were pooped when we got home and so were we. I took a good nap in the living room lounger quite awhile.

My Dad, My new mom, us 7 and 3 cousins camping, I'm the whiter haired 'cousin it' holding my baby brother, The cousins were the children of my aunt who died with my mother in the car accident.
I was a little more tired today on our walk and I have had a few little pangs in my chest. We (the doctor and I) are still trying to even out my 'INR' or coumadin level which is still a little low. We have been building it up much more slowly since last time when it got away from us and almost doubled what it should have been in just a few days. I think that is partly what helped create the bleeding episodes with my new hickman site recently. The doctor is being a lot more cautious this time thank goodness. That's the trouble every time I have to start or meet a new doctor in their office or in the hospital. They want to do things one way and when I let them know my body is extremely sensitive and won't react like average, they assume it can't be that bad and say things like 'even people who are allergic to such and such can take this medication' and sure enough, for me it's 'NOT'. I can't even think of moving or going anywhere else for my stuff or I'd have to start all over again and my body might not be so lucky as all the other 'oops' times in the last several years.

I haven't really mentioned it before but I've had several very serious 'life and death' episodes that were due to negligent, forgetful, or non listening doctors and technicians and some cases of too many doctors (chiefs) and not one top coordinator to keep track of what everyone else is doing except me. That usually is ok, except when I'm in a coma or in serious trouble. It's a good thing for my husband, daughter and cousin. Between them, they have jumped in a few times to get things going or straightened out when I wasn't capable. My memory isn't very good anymore, partly due to damage and meds and partly/mostly 'old age' (at least mentally) :^) . Families are wonderful, aren't they? By the way, don't get things too wrong, I have some of the best doctors in the country and some maybe in the world that I wouldn't trade for anything. But along the way...

I am anxious to get back to my painting soon. The summer is great for photography and I am really enjoying it. I am always taking pictures of things that I might want to paint sometime, including local plants and trees and even weeds. I love painting scenery and I think I'm best at that. I hope to post a few more of my paintings soon and then get some more done this fall and winter.

On Saturday, my husband and my father-inlaw and I are going fishing near and around the Pueblo resevoir. We hope to go in the early morning when it is still cool as it will probably reach into the ninety's in Pueblo later in the day. Hopefully I'll have a great fishing story to tell next time. Wish us luck!


Amber said...

I love seeing the old pictures of great Grandma and Grandpa. I miss her lots:(

I'm glad you helped that man and his dog. I have done things like that too and usually later get told by somone how unsafe that is to do anymore. But I still believe most people are decient people.

Love ya

It's All Good! said...

Hi Reva, We had a ton of fun didn't we!
Especially loved seeing little brother Jerry with a furry tail...(inside joke ya'll!) ;)
Love ya,
your big little sis

It's All Good! said...

Hi again,
Right time, right place for sure with the gentleman. Who knows? You just may have saved his life!
Love ya

Sammy said...

Hi Reva,

It's incredible how you weaved two separate stories into one post here.

What a gorgeous piture of your mother and her sister on their bicycles. And how shocking and sad that they were both killed in a car accident. So tragic and awful.

I just loved all the old photos.

I'm so glad you helped that man in the rain. You did the right thing and helped him as much as you could. I firmly believe in helping when it is needed.

I hope you have a nice weekend,

Putz said...

i actually cannot put picts on computers, that is why i only have one in the last 10 blogs, and that is handsome nadal for you laddies on barlowputz, but i love history, my great great grandmother was snatced form her mothers arms whan she was three at the dock at liverpool, and taken home kidnapped by her own father, while the rest sailed off to utah with the mormons on monarck of the sea and she left to raise silk from worms with her father mr dalton

Nancy said...

So sorry to hear about your mom and her sister being killed by a drunk driver. That must have been so hard on you, being so young to lose your mother.

That storm sounded quite bad! So glad that you helped that older gentleman and his little dog out. I am sure he was grateful for your help and concern.

Loved the old photos, too!!!

Betty said...

I have some old pictures, but my scanner isn't working right now. I didn't know your Mom was killed in a car accident, Reva. And your were only 8 years old. How sad!!

I hope you are having a good weekend.

Jess said...

I really enjoyed your post, and I guess you were in the right place at the right time with that man.

The old pictures were nice, and I'm glad that you have been having more energy and doing better!

Can't wait to hear about all the fish you catch.

Have a good weekend.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Just wanted to let you know that I've given you an award. You can pick it up on my latest post.

Have a great new week and God bless!

Love and hugs,


Cruise Mom said...

Sorry I haven't been by to visit for a while, summer vacation time! I love your old pictures, thank you for sharing these with us!

Jo said...

Have a great time fishing. I take it Myrtle won't get to go fishing?

~~ATTIC CLUTTER~~ said...

Aw yes that does sound familiar..women setting aside their dreams ..well children are so worth it(:)
thanks for the interesting story ..hugs Patty