My blog is a way for me to share in the wonder of each day. I know there are others like me that due to medical issues have our days numbered and would like to make the most of them in a positive and gifting way for ourselves and for those around us.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

More in the life...of a Miracle Lady

I've been out of touch with my new blogging life for a few weeks but now I'm back. I have been trying to put our yard together some although it is hard when I have to stop and rest too often. it takes most of an afternoon to get what once took about an hour. My breathing has been somewhat more of a chore and I have been tiring much easier. My bloodpressure is up and I have been generally fatigued. I haven't had any fevers or other signs of something serious and yet I knew something was up. Since it has been building up for a few weeks I figured it was too soon to raise my ramodulin dosage yet. I got suspicious that maybe I was having some more bleeding in my lung like the last 2 years about this time of year again.
I finally decided to get things checked out. Yesterday I had a chest exray and today I went to my in town pulminologist (lung) doctor. Fortunately my lungs are clear and no signs of anything more serious than usual going on. I was very happy about that and now I don't have to worry about it (hopefully) anymore this summer. I went ahead and upped my meds and hopefully that will help my bloodpressure go down, my breathing improve and my energy level to rise again.

I think I will take this time to fill in a few holes in my health problems so all this will make more sense to anyone just checking in.
After I had a kidney transplant with my loving husband as my live donor (Dec 2004), I did pretty well for about 6 months. I had several months recuperation after surgery before I could resume work part time. After 4 months I went back full time. I used oxygen part of the time but did ok. I even travelled to Maryland for a TDY training for work and since it was at sea level I didn't need any oxygen and I felt great.
I didn't feel well on Nov.1,2005 and so went to the doctor. I had a high fever and he sent me to the hospital asap. They found the huge clot that plugged the main pulmonary artery leading into my right lung. They put me under and did what they called a "clot buster" procedure to try and bust up the clot.
Then for some reason I started bleeding internally massively and they couldn't find out where it was coming from. All told I went through more that 10 pints of blood and 4 pints of plasma. They never did find out where the bleeding occured before it stopped by itself. During all that though, I was in a medically induced coma that ended up stretching out for over 3 weeks.
Most of my organs began shutting down and they thought my newly transplanted kidney was gone. My heart, lungs, liver, and kidney all started shutting down and in fact my heart actually stopped at least once and they had to start it up again. My family stood vigil through those weeks and prayed and talked to me constantly, holding my hand and just letting me know they were there. The doctors called my husband and daughter twice and told them to gather family because I probably wouldn't make it through that day or night.
As my body ecventually got somewhat better they tried to wake me up so they could take the breathing tube out but each time I woke up even a little I began to fight the tubing and couldn't breath so they had to put me out again and put the tube back in. My daughter and husband told them I was extremely claustrophobic but they wouldn't listen to them and kept trying the same way. Finally my family told them they had to take it out while I was out or they would never get it out so they tried it and it worked. Of course the doctors warned my family that the longer I was in a coma the less chance I would ever wake up or that even if I did I might have brain damage.
I truly believe that it was my family and friends faith and being there letting me know they were with me that kept me alive. Some how I clung to life and on my husbands birthday, November 26th I finally woke up. ( I don't remember anything though until 3 days before Christmas. Everything from November 1 until then is a total blank for me).
I was in the hospital 3 months recovering and going through physical therapy since laying there so long left my legs useless and curled under partially atrophied. I didn't know if I would ever walk again. I also couldn't read, or write (my writing was like a babies scribbles at first) or even figure out the numbers on a phone. I had to relearn or as the therapist said remind my mind how to work.
I went home in a wheelchair and braces on my legs, with oxygen, many meds, and was as weak as a baby but at least I was home. My cousin came and stayed with us for 2 months until I could fend for myself enough to get around and eat and do personal care, etc. Recooperation is a long endeavor but I am here with the nick name the hospital doctors and staff gave me as "The miracle Lady".


Diane J. said...

You have been through a lot in the last few years, haven't you? Thank God that He spared you and that you're doing so well now, compared to where you've come from.

Thanks for catching us up on your life situation. It helps me know where you're coming from, Reva.

Hope your week is going well! :o)

Love and hugs,


Jo said...

Good morning Reva,
I am so glad that you visited me and left a trail of bread crumbs for me to follow back to you. I have to tell you I was very touched by your story. I have always believed that when I person is in a life or death situation and experience the miracle that you did, it happens because God has more in this world that he wants you to do.

How wonderful that you have such a loving family. I hold you in my prayers and in my heart.

jennifer said...

Wow Miracle Lady, you have quite a story. Health issues or not, we are all promised an "end". Where there is a beginning, there has to be an end, in the natural, right? So I will join you in enjoying each and every day that comes our way!

Thank you for your visit to my site and I hope that you will visit again. I can't always promise a smile, or a belly laugh, but usually I evoke some emotion or the other. Even if it is a head shake and the question "Why am I reading this blather?" But see? Even that pity for my blog is emotion!

I hope that this day is a good one for you, that tomorrow is even better, and that will be the trend for you!

Take care.


Betty said...

Hi Reva,

I'm so behind myself in visiting others who are on my sidebar. I was going to try today to get around to visiting everyone, but you beat me to it. Did I tell you I had a sister named Neva?

You are so blessed by God that you are still here, Reva, considering all you have been through. I'm amazed that you are still able to do things like work in the yard. I know you must enjoy every day to the fullest, which is what we all should do.

God bless you.


Lorie said...

Tank you for your visit and I do check yours often and pray for you. It was good to find this new poast and it is a mighty testimony!!!! You are truly a miracle to still be able to care for others and now opening your life to allow us all in is a blessing to us!!!
I will be checking in and glad to see your words! God Bless you Reva, and HE HAS!;o)

It's All Good! said...

Good Morning Reva,
Your post brought back a flood of memories and also brought more tears. I'm so thankful you're still here to share our lives together! Your something else!
Love you so much!
Your Big Little Sis,

Jan said...

Oh my gosh Reva. I think that you have gone through an awful lot in your young life. That was an amazing journey.. Glad that your visit recently turned out okay for you. Your yard must be really pretty. Don't work to hard okay.. Take care..